NHS Horizons is a specialist team within the Improvement Directorate of NHS England.
NHS Horizons supports leaders of change, teams, organisations and systems to think differently about large-scale change, improve collaboration, and accelerate change. We work with the health and care system, the wider public sector and publicly-funded healthcare systems globally.
NHS Horizons’ purpose is to amplify the efforts of others to deliver transformation and large-scale improvement, and to accelerate new change thinking in line with the priorities of the NHS.
- Ambition to work with partners to deliver large-scale continuous learning and change
- Restlessness with how change is done, curiosity and quest to do things differently for better, quicker, wider outcomes
- Confidence in tech-enabled connections that give voice and power to many
- Belief that it is better when people lead their own change
- Energy and pace to act as change agents within the formal systems.
We achieve this by:
- Delivering tech-enabled, large-scale change through virtual accelerated design events
- Crowdsourcing and virtual collaboration
- Building the capacity of change agents across the system
- Creating spaces to share learning
- Promoting the spread and scale of specific innovations, methods and frameworks for change
- Leveraging social influence to enable learning
- Convening and growing networks and communities of action.
NHS Horizons is deliberately small. There is a core team of staff, plus a group of associates, secondees and international sabbaticals. We work on the basis that a small team can leverage its activities to make a very big impact through its connections, networks and partnerships.
Leaders who have commissioned NHS Horizons report that working with us has given them new and fresh perspectives about change; more systematic approaches to change; greater engagement from the beginning; a stronger sense of shared purpose and of agency; more effective approaches to testing and prototyping; more confidence in working virtually, greater willingness to take risks and an acceleration of change.